Provincial Maternity Hospital

Completed in 1875, the Provincial Maternity Hospital in Prague represented the state of the art in nineteenth-century obstetrics. At that …

Church of the Holy Trinity

One of the earliest baroque buildings in Bohemia, the church of the Holy Trinity at Zahořany near Křešice was built …

The Red Field

This two-storey townhouse ‘U Červeného pole’ (‘The Red Field’) is an ancient survivor in a street otherwise dominated by much …

Dům Diamant

Until February 1912, the plan had been for this corner building in Prague’s New Town to be redone in classic …

Lány Chateau

The village of Lány, twenty miles from Prague, stands in a region of fields and forests used for hunting since …

Okoř Castle

The ruins of this mid-fourteenth-century castle lie about seven miles northwest of Prague. The name Okoř is thought to be …

Vila Stiassni

Predating Mies van der Rohe’s nearby Vila Tugendhat by two years, this house — commissioned by textile manufacturer Alfred Stiassni …

The Assyrian Kings

Prague’s well-heeled residential district of Vinohrady is renowned for its grand apartment blocks, built at the turn of the 20th …

Church of Saint Norbert

Built between 1890 and 1891 on high ground of Střešovice to the west of Prague, this romanesque-style church provided a …

Moskevská 77/4

Of the many celebrated Czech architects of the first decade of the twentieth century, perhaps the most prolific was the …

Corn Exchange

Although agricultural trading had taken place in Prague since time immemorial, it was only in 1882 that plans were drawn …

Nostic Palace

This early baroque palace in the Malá Strana district was built between 1662 and 1675 for Jan Hartvik, count of …

Statue of František Rieger

František Ladislav Rieger was from his student days a passionate advocate of Czech nationalism. His 1848 speech in Vienna won …

Slezská 2000/9

Now the municipal court of Prague, this great ship of a building was constructed between 1926 and 1928 as the …